Saturday, July 4, 2009

Pedacitos on Brazil and the Brazilians



Things Brazilians Do:
Classified by Love, I don't understand it, and Wow that is just weird.



1. Coffee: LOVE!!
Everywhere you go someone offers you a coffe. This is not just a regular coffee, we are talking espresso. For example, when I went to get my nails done, they had a Saeco espresso machine and offered me several cafe com leites. Delicious! Another example, my friend Margaret had to get some lab work done, and they had an espresso machine and gave her coffee. In a lab? Coffee machines? In Brazil, why of course!! It's a caffeinated culture. Take note America, we have a long way to go on this, $6 Starbucks lattes are quite good, but it can't beat a free espresso in pretty much everywhere you go.

2. Watering and Washing the Sidewalk: Wow that is just weird, I don't understand it.
Ok, so I understand people throw garbage on the sidewalk, this is just something that happens in cities. But really people, really? Why do you need to soap and water scrub the sidewalk outside of your building/office/apartment complex/house everyday! Not only is it a waste of water, you are flushing all the trash AND toxic soap into the sewer system to eventually pollute your rivers. On a more selfish and personal note, I don't like getting my feet wet with dirty soapy crap every single morning because you feel the need to wash the sidewalk. I mean isn't that public property anyway? I think a simple solution would be putting more garbage cans on the street.

3. A Culture of Coupling, We Love to Make Out in Public: I don't understand it (yuck!)

Apparently everyone in this country loves to be in a relationship, and once they get together they cannot leave each others side. Margaret was telling me her students start dating, and after like 2 days they pronounce their undying never ending burning love for each other all over Orkut (it means Orchid in Portuguese and it's like facebook) and in classes and cannot be separated by any means. Also couples always must do things together, you can never get 1 to 1 time without the other person in the couple. Margaret was explaining this to me, and I have noticed it to. Well then again most of the people I hang out with are married so it might be a different standard--- but all in all-- Do single people exist in this culture? If so WHERE ARE YOU. At restaurants and bars, even at breakfast time, on the streets, in hallways, really any place at all, is intense make out/groping sessions. Now maybe it's because I'm a cold hearted American, but isn't it better to save some things for private? Please people, I don't want to see you nibbling on someones ear while I'm trying to enjoy my dinner. And independence is a good thing too.

4. Fruit All the Time: Love!
Fruit is served at pretty much every meal. As you can imagine, the fruits here are plentiful, different, and extremely delicious. I can't say enough how much I have come to appreciate a good ripe banana that wasn't picked in the very green stages. Yes Patrick, I know I usually give my over ripe bananas to you, but now I will cherish the sweet sweet taste. It really does taste different when you eat a fruit that has been picked when it SHOULD be picked. Way to go Brazil!

5. Salt and Toothpicks-- Where is the pepper!!!: I don't get it.

Brazilians have a serious love affair with salt. Every person I have ever eaten with always puts salt on their food without tasting it first. In American culture, esp. at business meals with potential employers or clients, this is a HUGE faux paux. Don't you want to gauge how much salt is in the food first before you add some? Not here, dump on that salt! I'm not a big fan of salty things, so perhaps this is why I notice this. I am, however, a huge fan of pepper. There is never any pepper at the tables here. When you ask, people look at you like you have 4 heads. I'm sorry Brazil, I love pepper, and I don't know why you don't like it as much as you like salt. It is delicious. Instead there are always toothpicks, which I must admit, are quite handy. Overall, maybe the toothpicks can balance out the salt ... only maybe though.

6. Introductions of Hugs and Names: Love it!
Everywhere you go people want to know everything about you, your name, history, etc. with a hug and kiss of course. I love this. I think this is really welcoming and makes me feel automatically comfortable with who I'm with. Most Americans are iffy about this Hispanic trait, but embrace it (literally and figuratively). It's fun, and it shows that people care about you. Even one of the trainers at my gym hugged and kissed me as an introduction when I was all sweaty. That is some cool stuff. Bring on the beijos my friends, bring it!


7. Lack of Cheese Diversity: Wow I just don't get it.

Let me first state that I am NOT including the Santa Luzia that is down the street from my house, which is cheese heaven... I'm talking about your everyday cheese. Apparently, only mozzerella and parmesan are the only 2 cheeses that Brazilians know. As a staunch supporter of cheeses of all kinds, I find this offensive. Why limit yourself to two fairly mild cheese, when you have your smoked guyere, herbed goat cheese, and (my favorite) stinky stinky french cheese? There are millions of cheeses the world has to offer, and Lord knows that there are plenty of cows around Brazil (considering how much beef is eaten here) for you to experiment a little bit. If you see sharp cheddar or my dear dear cave aged gouda, send them my warmest regards.
8. Brushing Your Teeth After Lunch, in the Office Bathroom: I just don't get it.
Whenever I go to use the bathroom after lunch, I am confronted with a gaggle of people brushing their teeth, flossing, and washing their faces in the office bathroom. Again, this may be a personal preference, but this is not your house-- this is the office. The last thing I want to see is someone flossing (which I find to be a very special personal time between myself and my teeth). Do these things at home people! I can understand the tooth brushing if you are interfacing with lots of clients or other officemates for the rest of the day, but if you are just sitting at your desk, a piece of Trident will do. You know 9 out of 10 dentists recommend it (although the statistical background of this study is a bit sketchy). Everyone in the office has a little travel case to keep their work toiletries in order so they can grab it quickly and rush to the bathroom after returning from the cafeteria. The even stranger thing about this is, this is not limited to the work environment. I have seen people in restaurant bathrooms-- some being very expensive hoity restaurants-- brushing their teeth. I don't know, I just don't think its right. Pop in some gum, spare me from watching you spit in the sink.


--- thats all I have for now.










Some highlights from the past two weeks:


-Beto's 20 minute history on colonialism and Brazil. For all you Latin America lovers, it is VERY different from the liberation of the rest of the Spanish speaking Latin American countries, and you can see how it manifests itself in the culture. Definately read up on this-- its very interesting. All in 20 minutes, which was also pretty amazing.

-My first futebol games. No I didn't actually go, I just watched them on TV, but wow these people have more spirit than the Argentinians during games (no offense Argentina). I had a lot of fun with Felipe and his friends watching the US v Brazil game (I had to keep quiet for most of the game so I didn't get smited by all the Brazlians at the bar) and then a local game. Lots of fun!!

-My first feijoada. A divine Brazilian bean and beef rib stew. Mom, you need to learn to make this, it's an interesting variation of your (famous) black blean soup.

-My first trip to Oscar Freire, the famous shopping street. So many beautiful and unique things, from furnature to clothing to shoes to restaurants. This would be an ideal place to come, if I were not on a student's budget. Next time!

Below are some pictures from Margaret's camera of our adventures in the grocery store... Santa Luzia, where they have all the comfort foods of home and delicious delicious diverse cheeses. Also there are some pictures of a famous restaurant called Figueria Rubiyat, a restaurant built around a beautiful old fig tree. Enjoy!
Ate mais amigos!








No comments:

Post a Comment