Monday, June 15, 2009

Week 2.... or maybe Week 1 for you. Who knows!



What a week it has been!

I have officially been in Sao Paulo for one whole week. To start the experience off right I made sure to make another huge change--- physically. I cut about 5 inches off my hair. Now for anyone who knows me, I love my hair, maybe almost as much as my dog. I religiously deep condition, brush, and caress it. I was a little frightened when I saw all the hair on the floor, but I knew Adam Broderick (or the AB as my niece Maya calls it) would not do me wrong. Thanks AB!


My flight was actually pretty great! I usually despise flying, but my dad, bless his heart, upgraded me to business class. For those of you who don't know, this is the difference between sitting smashed next to a bunch of strangers and laying flat, like you are in a bed. I value my beauty rest and the flight did me right. Decent airplane food was served, a few glasses of wine, some comfy socks (per the suggestions of my US manager), and eye covers made the difference. When I awoke, I saw the sprawling city below--- and boy was I ready!


My manager, Beto, met me at the airport. Yes, he was holding one of those signs that had my name on it. This was the first time something like that happened to me, so I chuckled to myself and rushed over. I enthusiastically hugged him and we began our ride into the city.


He attempted to talk to me in Portuguese, but my brain was still groggy from the flight and completely overstimulated. When I travel, I tend to become a 5 year-old when I first arrive. Everything---signs, people, trash cans-- is new and exciting and picture worthy. Did I mention I forgot my camera? Don't worry folks, Beto saved me by loaning me one of his cameras for the duration of my time here (thank you!! or obrigado!). He gave me some insight on the city as we whirred past people, houses, favelas, and other cars, until--- dead stop.


The other day we were having a lunch at Hortolandia, one of the big Global Delivery Centers for IBM and one of the kariokas (people from Rio) made a great point about the difference between Sao Paulo and Rio.


"People from Sao Paulo think that we get nothing done in Rio because we are at the beach all day. I think people in Sao Paulo don't get anything done because they spend most of the day in traffic." Great point and very true! This was my first experience with the HORRIFIC Sao Paulo traffic. Sorry LA, you got nothing on Sao Paulo.



The rest of the day was a blur, from checking in to visiting the Tutoia office, to meeting every Brazilian HR employee, maybe ever. One thing I can distinctly remember about meeting all these people, is that every one greeted me openly with a kiss and hug. I have never felt so welcome and so awkward all at once--- not being able to aptly communicate, but feeling like part of something more than a team, like a big family. I don't know what it is about IBM, but no matter what office I go to (and before I came here, I feel like I was in every office in the tri-state area), I feel welcome, wanted, and valued.



Once I could finally breath--- I realized what a gorgeous view I had from my room. Again this was thanks to Beto. He requested I have a view of Parque Iberapuera, the largest park in the city. For all you New Yorkites, this is like their central park, but cooler because its in Brazil. Sorry I do love central park, but this is way cooler... at least for me.


Over my first few days I met a million and one people. I also got to go to the Hortolandia site, which is one of our Global Delivery Centers. We had a presentation of the local labor market (thanks Gary Fields !! What you taught us in class really has come in handy!!). The next part was like a movie, they were talking and talking about integrated service solutions. This is how IBM serves our many customers with application solutions. The screen rose slowly and they flicked on a light, and on the other side was approximately 1,000 people working together on computers trouble shooting and designing these integrated solutions. My jaw dropped. I have never seen so many people, let alone so many computers in one room. Everyone was flittering from one pair to another, trying to problem solve and build giant technological infrastructures. Very cool! I was really impressed.


Of course, my first question to the presenter was "if we can see them, can they see us?"


"Oh yes of course," he replied matter of factly.


"Isn't this..... a little strange for them? You know to be in a fishbowl?" I probed.


"They are used to it," he answered.


I was in awe. Just like the thousand application services people behind the glass, I was another fish, another piece of the puzzle that fit to serve our customers and make the world think a little bit smarter.

Don't worry this was only the first two days... the holiday and the weekend will be posted tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you cut your hair! Looks cute!

    ReplyDelete